Friday, June 1, 2007

Gambling Hand



So lately James has been getting me into this Poker thing. I flirted with the game a little in '06. I went to some friends places, hosted a Poker evening, even went to a couple of tournaments, but I never really played seriously. I never played for money. And, James being James was probably the most likely person I know to actually back the game up with his finances. He's been playing pretty consistently over the past month or so. How successful he is, I am not too sure. I know he's definitely had his good streaks and he's definitely had his cold ones.

This weekend was a little different. I had a few loose dollars in an old savings account which I hadn't touched for a solid six months. I decided that it was just sitting there, and, while I wasn't keen on loosing it, I wanted to see what I could make of it. So, James and I sat down in front of the computer, two beers each and $150 (of my money) to lose.

Because you're smart, you've probably realised that had I not gone so well I probably wouldn't be publicly admitting to you all about how foolish I was to throw away my money. So yes, you're right. I won. In about two hours the $150 had jumped to $410 ($260 winnings!) Having taken a few nerve-wracking (not to mention fortunate) hands, I decided the last thing I wanted was to lose what I had. So I asked James to withdraw our winnings, which we would split, and we played on with $150 remaining. Within an hour, we had lost that amount.


Despite wanting to win some more money, I decided to call it a day as I didn't want to lay my secured winnings on the line. So that was that. I held onto my initial $150, and James and I split the surplas two-ways. We could have done better, we could have done worse. It is what it is. Overall, I earned more than a day's honest wages in three hours total. Not too shabby.

Anyway, it's getting late in the afternoon now. Johanna's coming over and we're going to a Filipino Restaurant in Sydney's West. We haven't been there for a while, so it should be a good one.

Thanks for reading.


Ricky.
rick26j@gmail.com

2 comments:

Snapper said...

So you made $55?
Just checking my math..

Romes said...

Hmmm. I actually re-read what I wrote, and I can see that it wasn't entirely clear.

Just for the record, I started with $130 USA, and finished with $270 US.

I gave $70 to James, and I left the table with $200. So I made $70 US, which works out to just under $100 Australian dollars.

Again, sorry my post wasn't entirely clear initially.